Tag Archives: Brazil

John P. Kolenda: The German-American Assemblies of God Missionary to Brazil

Kolenda_1400bThis Week in AG History — July 11, 1942

By Glenn W. Gohr
Originally published on AG News, 12 July 2018 

John Peter Kolenda (1898-1984), an Assemblies of God missionary to Brazil and Germany, was a man of vision who was sold out for the gospel. He pastored churches in the U.S., founded churches on the mission field, established Bible schools, started printing plants, and taught extension courses. He never grew tired of doing the Lord’s work.

Kolenda was born in Germany and lived in Brazil from ages 4 to 11 before his family immigrated to the United States. After he was converted at age 18, he began reading Maria Woodworth-Etter’s classic Pentecostal book, Signs and Wonders, which led him to accept divine healing. Not long afterwards, through the ministry of Aimee Semple McPherson, he and other members of his family were filled with the Spirit.

After graduating from Southern California Bible Institute (now Vanguard University), Kolenda was ordained in 1922. He met his future wife, Marguerite Westmark, in Bible school, and they were married later that same year.

Kolenda sold cars in Los Angeles for a short time after graduation, and then after he was married he served as an evangelist for about six months, before pastoring a series of small churches in Michigan. The Kolendas raised two daughters, Dorothy and Grace Ann.

Kolenda had always felt a call to serve on the mission field in Brazil. His wife also shared that calling. He was over 40 years old when the door finally opened for him to go as a missionary to Brazil in 1939, even as World War II was breaking out in Europe. He arrived in Rio de Janeiro and rented an apartment as he became reacquainted with the people of his youth. Soon he felt directed to move to the state of Santa Catarina which had a great need for the gospel.

Kolenda started quite a few churches in Brazil during the 14 years he ministered there. When he left for his first furlough, over 100 churches or preaching points had been established.

He returned to Brazil and continued teaching at Bible conferences and served as the superintendent of the work in the state of Santa Catarina. He established a monthly publication called Messenger of Peace and provided Sunday School literature to his constituents. He also served as a missionary to Germany for 10 years. He later returned to both mission fields to evangelize and teach in their Bible schools. Through his preaching and teaching he touched untold thousands. His work in training young ministers in Brazil and Germany has significantly shaped the Pentecostal work in both those countries.

The Kolenda family made a large impact on the Pentecostal movement. One of John P. Kolenda’s older brothers, Paul Kolenda, was an Assemblies of God pastor in Illinois and Michigan. He became the father of 10 sons, many of whom went into the ministry. One of Paul’s descendants is Daniel Kolenda, who is the president and CEO of Christ For All Nations, which was established by Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke.

During World War II there was a great missions advance in South America, spearheaded by missionaries John and Marguerite Kolenda and others. An article Kolenda wrote in the Pentecostal Evangel in July 1942, called “Missions Advance in Brazil,” gave reports from several missionaries on the field.

In the article, Kolenda told how, in February 1942, he was accompanied by missionaries Virgil and Ramona Smith as they conducted two weeks of evangelistic meetings in the northern part of the state of Santa Catarina and in the state of Parana. They held special services and Bible studies among the Russian colonists who had settled there. The trip was very interesting. Taking the train, which was greatly delayed, Kolenda reported, “When we finally reached the station it was one o’clock in the morning.” The believers who met them there with wagons said they would have to remain in the station until daybreak since the river they must cross had overflowed its banks and was very dangerous. The next morning they had to cross the river in small boats and then go by wagon a few more hours to their destination. They held a camp meeting service with the believers who came. Kolenda reported, “The Lord truly met with us and we believe the results will abide.”

Missionaries Erma Miller and Lillian Flessing gave an account that the Kolendas held five services for them, with nine people getting saved, and several backsliders being restored. “Each evening saw the altar lined with people seeking God,” said Miller and Flessing, “and we feel their visit was the means of starting a Holy Ghost revival in Sao Carlos which we pray shall continue until Jesus comes.”

Read more exciting reports in “Missions Advance in Brazil,” on pages 6 and 7 of the July 11, 1942, issue of the Pentecostal Evangel.

Also featured in this issue:

• “Give Ye Them to Eat,” by John Wright Follette

• “The World Moves On,” by Ernest S. Williams

• “Isaiah’s Consecration and Call,” by J. Bashford Bishop

And many more!

Click here to read this issue now.

Pentecostal Evangel archived editions courtesy of the Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center.

Do you have Pentecostal historical materials that should be preserved? Please consider depositing these materials at the Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center (FPHC). The FPHC, located in the Assemblies of God national offices, is the largest Pentecostal archive in the world. We would like to preserve and make your treasures accessible to those who write the history books.

Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center
1445 North Boonville Avenue
Springfield, Missouri 65802 USA
Phone: 417.862.1447 ext. 4400
Toll Free: 877.840.5200
Email: archives@ag.org
Website: www.iFPHC.org

Leave a comment

Filed under Biography, History, Missions

Brazilian Pentecostal Denomination (Igreja de Cristo Pentecostal no Brasil) Triples in Size, Deposits Publications at Heritage Center

A small portion of the collection of Igreja de Cristo Pentecostal no Brasil publications deposited at the Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center

A small portion of the collection of Igreja de Cristo Pentecostal no Brasil publications deposited at the Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center

The International Pentecostal Church of Christ (IPCC) has its roots in America, but its membership outside the US far exceeds its American counterpart. Dr. Clyde Hughes, Missions Director of the IPCC, recently traveled to Brazil, where he spoke at the church’s national convention. The Igreja de Cristo Pentecostal no Brasil has tripled in membership since 1993 and, last year, had 31,111 members. Hughes brought back a large collection of the church’s Brazilian publications and deposited them at the Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center, which is the largest Pentecostal archives in the world. It is important that voices of Pentecostals around the world be accessible to church leaders, students, and researchers!

Do you have Pentecostal historical materials that should be preserved? Please consider depositing these materials at the Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center (FPHC). The FPHC is located in the Assemblies of God national offices. We would like to preserve and make your treasures accessible to those who write the history books.

Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center
1445 North Boonville Avenue
Springfield, Missouri 65802 USA
Phone: 417.862.1447 ext. 4400
Toll Free: 877.840.5200
Email: archives@ag.org

Leave a comment

Filed under News

Wisconsin minister celebrates 100th birthday


Lillian Adamson

Photo: Wisconsin-Northern Michigan District Superintendent Arden Adamson presents a Certificate of Recognition to retired Assemblies of God minister Lillian Flessing Adamson on her 100th birthday.

May 3, 2008, was a day of joy as family members gathered around retired minister Lillian Flessing Adamson to celebrate a fruitful life spanning an entire century—100 years! Adamson holds ministerial credentials with the Wisconsin-Northern Michigan District of the Assemblies of God. District Superintendent Arden Adamson, who is her nephew by marriage, presented her with a Certificate of Recognition, signed by Assemblies of God General Superintendent George Wood.

Born on May 3, 1908, in Athens, Wisconsin, Lillian received missionary appointment to Brazil in 1939. A graduate of North Central University, Lillian, along with her coworker, Ellen Miller, did evangelism and church planting in Brazil. Their first work was in Ribeirao Preto, Brazil. They were also involved in ministry in Porto Alegre and Florianopolis. In 1941 they had two works in the Sao Paulo area—Sao Carlos and Araraquara. According to articles in the Pentecostal Evangel, they reported many salvations, healings, deliverances and Holy Spirit baptisms.

Following their return to the United States, Lillian spent several years teaching and helping in various church ministries. She was asked to start an elementary school at Ebenezer Assembly of God in Chicago where she taught and served as the principal for 22 years. In 1973, at the age of 65, she married Earl Adamson. They pastored in Madison, Wisconsin, and Collinsville and Yorkville, Illinois, prior to moving to Oshkosh to be near family. Earl passed away in 2003 and Lillian now resides at the Omro Care Center in Omro, Wisconsin.

When she married Earl after the death of his wife, Josie, Lillian became, and continues to be, an integral part of the Adamson family. She holds a place of honor in their family for the love, care and acceptance she has shown to Earl, his children, and their spouses and grandchildren, who all call her “Grandma Lillian.”

Technorati Tags:
, ,

Posted by Darrin Rodgers

Leave a comment

Filed under Missions, News