Henry Jauhiainen Collection
For decades, Rev. Henry Jauhiainen (1924- ) served the Fellowship of Christian Assemblies (FCA) as its most prominent historian and theologian. Jauhiainen recently deposited his personal papers at the Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center (FPHC), making his life’s work accessible to future scholars, church leaders, and researchers.
The Fellowship of Christian Assemblies (FCA), known as the Independent Assemblies of God until 1973, was formed during the early twentieth century Pentecostal revival by Scandinavian immigrants to North America. Influenced by Swedish Pentecostal leader Lewi Pethrus, the FCA has grown to about 100 churches in the U.S. and another 100 churches in Canada.
Raised in a Finnish immigrant community in Michigan, Jauhiainen spent two years at Suomi College before going on to earn a B.A in history at the University of Minnesota-Duluth. He later did D.Min. studies at Northern Baptist Theological Seminary in Lombard, Illinois. He and his wife, Maxine, raised four boys. Jauhiainen followed Elmer C. Erickson as pastor of Duluth (MN) Gospel Tabernacle, a leading FCA congregation. He also served churches in Laurium, Michigan, Cloquet, Minnesota, and Crystal Lake, Illinois.
Jauhiainen was the chief architect behind the FCA’s name change and its carefully considered statements on doctrine and polity from the 1950s through the 1980s. One of Jauhiainen’s friends, theologian Robert Webber, wrote that he is “a very thoughtful and deep person.” And Jauhiainen has brought this depth to everything he has done — including preaching, writing, and personal relationships. He has built bridges with Christians from other traditions and was active in the charismatic renewal.
Over the course of 60 years, Jauhiainen collected a substantial archive of materials relating to the FCA. He interviewed countless people, assembled rare publications, and wrote extensive notes for a history which he envisioned but never did write. Jauhiainen deposited his collection at the FPHC so that others may pick up where he left off. The collection provides insight into an important segment of the Pentecostal movement that made a unique contribution to American and global Christianity through its strong local churches, publications, and missionary enterprise.
Do you have Pentecostal historical materials that should be preserved? Please consider depositing these materials at the Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center (FPHC). The FPHC, located in the Assemblies of God national offices, is the largest Pentecostal archive in the world. We would like to preserve and make your treasures accessible to those who write the history books.
Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center
1445 North Boonville Avenue
Springfield, Missouri 65802 USA
Phone: 417.862.1447 ext. 4400
Toll Free: 877.840.5200